Network protocols are sets of established rules that dictate how to format, transmit and receive data so computer network devices — from servers and routers to endpoints — can communicate regardless of the differences in their underlying infrastructures, designs or standards.
Network protocols are formal standards and policies comprised of rules, procedures and formats that define communication between two or more devices over a network.
They ensure that computer network devices can transmit and receive data using a common language regardless of their different designs, hardware or infrastructures.
Network protocols govern the end-to-end processes of timely, secure and managed data or network communication.
They can be built into hardware or software, and they’re so important that, in practice, every network use rely on network protocols for communications and connectivity.
Wireless means transmitting signals using radio waves as the medium instead of wires. Wireless technologies are used for tasks as simple as switching off the television or as complex as supplying the sales force with information from an automated enterprise application while in the field. Now cordless keyboards and mice, PDAs, pagers and digital and cellular phones have become part of our daily life.
Some of the inherent characteristics of wireless communications systems which make it attractive for users, are given below −
- Mobility − A wireless communications system allows users to access information beyond their desk and conduct business from anywhere without having a wire connectivity.
- Reachability − Wireless communication systems enable people to be stay connected and be reachable, regardless of the location they are operating from.
- Simplicity − Wireless communication system are easy and fast to deploy in comparison of cabled network. Initial setup cost could be a bit high but other advantages overcome that high cost.
- Maintainability − In a wireless system, you do not have to spend too much cost and time to maintain the network setup.
- Roaming Services − Using a wireless network system, you can provide service any where any time including train, buses, aeroplanes etc.
- New Services − Wireless communication systems provide various smart services like SMS and MMS.