DHTML stands for Dynamic Hypertext Markup language i.e., Dynamic HTML.
Dynamic HTML is not a markup or programming language but it is a term that combines the features of various web development technologies for creating the web pages dynamic and interactive.
The DHTML application was introduced by Microsoft with the release of the 4th version of IE (Internet Explorer) in 1997.
Components of Dynamic HTML
DHTML consists of the following four components or languages:
- HTML 4.0
HTML is a client-side markup language, which is a core component of the DHTML. It defines the structure of a web page with various defined basic elements or tags.
CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheet, which allows the web users or developers for controlling the style and layout of the HTML elements on the web pages.
DOM is the document object model. It is a w3c standard, which is a standard interface of programming for HTML. It is mainly used for defining the objects and properties of all elements in HTML.
Uses of DHTML
Following are the uses of DHTML (Dynamic HTML):
- It is used for designing animated and interactive web pages that are developed in real-time.
- DHTML helps users by animating the text and images in their documents.
- It allows the authors for adding the effects on their pages.
- It also allows the page authors for including the drop-down menus or rollover buttons.
- This term is also used to create various browser-based action games.
- It is also used to add the ticker on various websites, which needs to refresh their content automatically.
Features of DHTML
Following are the various characteristics or features of DHTML (Dynamic HTML):
- Its simplest and main feature is that we can create the web page dynamically.
- Dynamic Style is a feature, that allows users to alter the font, size, color, and content of a web page.
- It provides the facility for using the events, methods, and properties. And, also provides the feature of code reusability.
- It also provides the feature in browsers for data binding.
- Using DHTML, users can easily create dynamic fonts for their websites or web pages.
- With the help of DHTML, users can easily change the tags and their properties.
- The web page functionality is enhanced because the DHTML uses a low-bandwidth effect.
Advantages of DHTML
Following are the various benefits or the advantages of DHTML (Dynamic HTML):
- Those websites and web pages that are created using this concept are fast.
- There is no plug-in required for creating the web page dynamically.
- Due to the low-bandwidth effect of the dynamic HTML, the web page functionality is enhanced.
- This concept provides advanced functionalities than static HTML.
- It is highly flexible, and the user can make changes easily in the web pages.
Disadvantages of DHTML
Following are the various disadvantages or limitations of DHTML (Dynamic HTML):
- The scripts of DHTML do not run properly in various web browsers. It is only supported by the latest browsers.
- The coding of those websites that are created using DHTML is long and complex.
- If any user does not know these languages, then it is a time-consuming and long process in itself.
Difference between HTML and DHTML
Following table describes the differences between HTML and DHTML:
|HTML (Hypertext Markup language)||DHTML (Dynamic Hypertext Markup language)|
|1. HTML is simply a markup language.||1. DHTML is not a language, but it is a set of technologies of web development.|
|2. It is used for developing and creating web pages.||2. It is used for creating and designing the animated and interactive web sites or pages.|
|3. This markup language creates static web pages.||3. This concept creates dynamic web pages.|
|4. It does not contain any server-side scripting code.||4. It may contain the code of server-side scripting.|
|5. The files of HTML are stored with the .html or .htm extension in a system.||5. The files of DHTML are stored with the .dhtm extension in a system.|
|7. This markup language does not need database connectivity.||7. This concept needs database connectivity because it interacts with users.|